Thursday, January 14, 2010

familiar footsteps?

Tomorrow I embark upon my first winter retreat since my senior year of high school in 2004. I am heading back to nights of little sleep, rampant flatulence, mild pranks, and high school humor. While these don't necessary scream excitement for me anymore, I am stoked about this trip. First off, I have Monday off, which means a day to recover and stay up-to-date with my work. The real reason is the relationship building I anticipate, particularly with the young men in my small group. I can still recall a lot of the conversations I had with various youth leaders at our winter retreats. The hours not spent sleeping were typically spent discussing what we believed God was doing in our lives, and how it should change the way we lived. I am eager for the uninterrupted time to talk about the things of God with a group of freshman still learning what a life for Christ involves. Thus far, our group has made small strides towards establishing Christ-centered relationships as brothers, and I know God will be faithful in helping us made significant leaps and bounds in that direction.

Having said that, I also enter this weekend with a considerable level of vulnerability and discomfort. Most times winter retreats, such as these, take us to the top of mountain only to have us come crashing down by mid-week. I experienced this rush every winter during high school. Now that I am older, I know what expect more than ever. Instead of focusing on the emotional experience (which we tend to live for), I am going in ready to experience our great God. My eyes, ears, and heart are opened to the Word of God, hoping it will penetrate the areas He deems unholy. I know He has me going for growth as much as the students. I am never beyond the need for sanctification and re-centering, which is why I head off with an anxious excitement.

2 comments:

  1. Rampant flatulance? (I know - on a serious post, that's what I comment on. =) Have a great weekend! Where is this retreat, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about it. We will be praying for you and the guys.

    ReplyDelete