Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions. They never last because they are typically thought up on a whim with little desire to see them come to fruition. So, I am going to skip the detailed plan of what I am going to change in 2010. Instead, I am simply going to jot down a couple of thoughts I picked up after reading Tim Keller's Counterfeit Gods. The book provides an excellent glimpse into our hearts in order to see what we worship instead of Christ. It made me uncomfortable as the light of truth exposed my own gods, and yet encouraged as the Spirit quickly began the process of cleaning house.

The part which spoke the loudest came towards the end of the book. Keller had just used the analogy of Eustace from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to describe how idolatry corrupts our hearts, turning us into ravenous beasts. He summed up this effect with these words, "we become like what we worship." When we worship the things of this world, even the blessings God graciously gives us, we turn into ugly creatures. On the flip side, when we worship Christ we reflect more of His image. I guess the real question I am left with is, "what am I like?" From that question I should be able to recognize who (or what) I am worshiping. On the cusp of a new year, my intent is to worship Christ alone and become more and more like Him. I spent many years operating on the other side of the coin and the sight is far from pretty.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading the book. Thanks for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete