Tuesday, November 23, 2010

singing

I enjoy singing. It probably goes back to my days in high school where I was a member of the choir. At the time I participated in it because it guaranteed an "A" without requiring any work beyond showing up. Looking back, I realize how my appreciation for music and song blossomed. There are times today when I miss singing/listening to songs in at least four-part harmony (don't get me started on the excitement that occurs when the four parts split up). Back to the point of this post, singing should be an important part of the life of a Christian. The Bible is littered with examples and commands for God's children to sing praises to Him. We should be excited to do so whether we are the greatest singer or someone can't find a tune no matter how had they try.

As I am wrapping up my tour of the Old Testament, I stumbled upon one of my favorite verses in all of Scripture. It provides a glimpse into eternity while showing us one more reason why we should sing.

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. ~Zephaniah 3:17

One day, God will sing over His children. Now I have heard my fair share of good singers, but the thought of God's voice in song gives me the chills. Not only will He be singing, but His song will be sung over His children. It will be like when my mom would sing to me as a little boy, only with the greatest song and voice possible (sorry mom). This fills me with an eagerness to be in His presence listening for all of eternity. But until then, I sing to Him with all that He has given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment