Friday, December 24, 2010

hurting

I rarely venture out to the stores this close to Christmas. I try to have my shopping done at least one week before because people can get very nasty and impatient as Christmas gets closer. Sadly enough I heard one person say they couldn't wait until the day was over because then it would be done with (what happens when we put all the focus on the gifts instead of the Gift we have already been given). Having said that, there is one reason why I don't mind a quick stop for a few items. It is nearly guaranteed that I will see at least one person I haven't seen in a long time at one of my stops. Today proved this concept true once again.

I ran into a former boss from my high school days. He could be a tough man at times, but there was always a sense of genuine concern about those working for him. After telling him my plans for this upcoming year (and beyond) I asked him how things were going for him. Immediately his demeanor changed to somber and sorrowful. As it turns out his wife has been struggling with stage 4 breast cancer for quite some time now. Life for his family has stopped altogether as they attempt to care for their sick wife/mother. I offered him what little encouragement I could, but promised to keep his wife in my prayers. He said he appreciated it, because she could definitely use them. My mom, who was with me, chimed in about praying for him too as he struggles with caring and remaining strong for the rest of his family members. At this the tears couldn't be held back any longer. My mom gave him a hug as we shook hands once more before we departed. I looked into his tear-soaked eyes, which screamed of intense pain and anguish over his wife's ailing health. My heart let out a prayer for this man searching for a glimmer of hope.

What does this have to do with India? I really did not think much of anything until I thought of the look in this man's eyes as we left. That same look will be present in the eyes of many of the children who will cross my path. There will be children abused, entrenched in an empty, hopeless belief system, sick, lost, and everything else imaginable. They will be looking for me to provide the hope they need to press on. I myself cannot provide it, but Jesus Christ can. This is what I will bring to them. It's really all I have to offer.

Personally, I don't know if I am ready for this. Last year I spent rides home in tears over the broken lives of my students. I didn't know how to comfort them aside from loving them in the Spirit. While that's enough, it still breaks my heart. I desire nothing more than to see the agony and brokenness relieved. I know for a fact that many of my own tears will be shed over the next two months. I am naturally a more emotional person who wears everything on his sleeve. My prayer is for strength and daily reminders of God's promises through the tough times. If they weigh heavily on my heart, then I will be able to impress them upon the hearts of the Indian children longing for Christ and all that He offers.

And may this Christmas season remind us to pray for those around us who are broken and hurting. Joy is not easily found regardless of the season when our world around us lies in chaos. It only comes as we celebrate Christ's coming to redeem our world of chaos through His sacrifice on the cross and resurrection three days later. Here in lies the hope we have not only for this life, but also the one to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging works, Derek. We will be praying for you and for those who you will be ministering to.

    ReplyDelete