Monday, December 27, 2010

persecution

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. ~Matthew 5:10

Can you tell I have been going through the Sermon on the Mount? I have no idea whether or not my trip will face outright persecution. I know India is not always open to the gospel and those who preach it. There are countless stories of Christians experiencing a full range of attacks, some to the point of death. Part of me wrestles over this harsh reality. Regardless, this verse provides all the encouragement we should need when it comes to persecution.

At the very least, my presence will hopefully help those who are facing persecution to keep pushing forward. I cannot imagine the difficulty of going through each and every day expecting resistance and some aspect of aggression. It has to get tiring and discouraging. God promises, however, our struggles are not in vain. Whatever we are willing to lose in this life for the sake of Christ will only be added to the treasure we are to receive in heaven. As I head into my trip, I earnestly pray against persecution while recognizing it may be God's will for me to face it in some fashion. Either way, I hold before me the promise of God's Spirit to be with me, and the work I do in His name to further the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment