Tuesday, December 28, 2010

seeing

The Sermon on the Mount is filled wisdom I often speed through when I am reading. Because of this, I slowed down my chapter reading rate to unpack as much as I can over the course of these three chapters. It seems as though each time I am sure there is nothing left outstanding a particular verse nearly jumps off the page. It's a pleasant reminder of how God's Word cannot be exhausted no matter how many times we may read it. There is always something to learn.

Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them... ~Matthew 6:1

I wrestled with the principle of this verse as the reality of my heading toward ministry started unfolding. As loving friends and family express their support and encouragement it becomes difficult to keep Christ in focus. Pride comes natural to me. I love hearing the praise of others directed at me. Frequently I am more motivated by the praise I know is coming than by loving and serving Christ. That is a dangerous place to be.

At times like these I feel like Paul. My new self wants to give glory and honor to Christ, while the old desires itself to be glorified. It's a battle I can't win. It's also a battle that has already been won for me. Through the power of the Spirit, I can serve Christ well with pure motives. I can be seen by those around me without fear of my head swelling up with pride. Instead, I can rejoice because I know Christ is at work in me. He is molding me more into His image while gaining all the glory in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment