Friday, August 5, 2011

(insert sound of brakes screeching to a halt)

My older sister is a real peach. There is no doubt in my mind of her love for her youngest brother. I can recount many events in my past, which would speak to this as being true. She fed me at least twice a week my freshman year of college (and even let me bring friends along at times). Along with her husband, she chose me as a member of her infamous wedding party. Despite having two daughters and a busy husband, I am frequently invited to her city dwelling for food and fellowship. I could come up with a lot more, but those will suffice for now. But more importantly, I know my sister is interested in my development as a man, particularly one gearing up for a life of full-time ministry.

However, she does have a feisty streak in her as well. She has been know to mutilate teddy bears after convincing a mere toddler the bear would look better scarf-less. She breaks cribs (along with her younger brother) when all you want to do is sleep in them. She also might practice her developing punching skills when you least expect it. Or she sends emails attaching articles which challenge a trajectory you recently dove head-first into.

She sent me this and this in an email. I read both during a break in my seminary (note the irony) class. I plan on writing a reflection on the two articles considering they directly apply to my situation. And in actuality, the issues being raised are not foreign to me. I took many of them into account as I wrestled over whether or not attending seminary was right for me. In all honesty, I still wrestle with some of the issues. Certain points the author makes I found myself nodding in agreement with. For others, I was less enthused. While I may not agree with every point being made, I think the articles raise good questions about education, in general, and seminary education, in specific.

If anything it's a good challenge to assess where my heart lies and the motivation behind my attending seminary. Am I doing it all for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31) or something entirely different?

(P.S. Danielle, I am appreciative of the articles. I just wanted to get in some good-natured ribbing seeing as I've been left to myself this week with nobody to pick on. You won my "find someone to playfully tease" drawing. Don't you feel special?)

No comments:

Post a Comment