Monday, August 15, 2011

A year of travels

It's not New Year's, but today feels like a good day to reminisce on my past year (maybe the midterm I just took is having an effect). Today does mark five months since I returned from my time in India. If you believe me, I haven't been counting. I simply saw the date and said "well look at that." But I have seen other places as well in the last year.

Last August, I traveled to Italy with two friends for a crash-course in sight-seeing, delicious food, good wine, and fun. If you've never gone, may I encourage you to do so. My taste-buds continue to thank me.

After a brief stop in Harrisburg to start off the year teaching, I traveled to Boston for a weekend visit of a friend attending Gordon Conwell. We toured Quincy Market, Fenway Park, and downtown making room for oysters and chowder. (Please read all those names and foods with a thick, Boston accent please).

My traveling took a break over the holidays are I prepared for the major excursion of the year. I serve three months in India with a God-glorifying ministry. I lived with a wonderful family, served alongside a hilarious and devoted group of godly men and women, saw God move time and time again, and saw my call for ministry grow. I hope to return someday.

After three months filled with recuperation, a sprained ankle, a Spruce Lake trip as a substitute teacher, and a plethora of Messiah girl's lacrosse games I traveled once again to my favorite place in all of New York. I studied religiously for my Hebrew course, but filled the extra time enjoying the best family (immediate and extended) a guy could ask for.

And finally, before the grind of another Hebrew semester, I ventured to Wildwood, NJ for a quick frolicking in the surf and sand. I would have liked to stay longer, but I am grateful for the twenty-four hour period I had. (And since my time was so limited this picture is the only proof of my attendance.)

God is good. I can't say it enough. I don't always take the time to see it, but it doesn't mean it's not true. He has blessed me with plenty of opportunities to see His creation, enjoy His people, and find rest through His good gifts over the course of the past year. I am grateful for each and every one.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good ~Psalm 136:1

No comments:

Post a Comment