Wednesday, August 10, 2011

the seminary bubble

I wish I could say I read these two articles over and over again in attempt to fully dissect the writer's point. Unfortunately, the limitations of my time remain. I could wait until my summer class is over, but I will most likely forget to come back and revisit it altogether. Even so, my opinion is limited seeing as I am only two "theoretical" semesters into my program. I am not (yet) in debt from seminary, although that day is fast approaching. It will add to my existing debt, but apparently debt is "in" (or so says our government).

Instead of writing a rather lengthy response, I am simply going to list a few lines from the article and respond to those. I picked ones which I either nodded in agreement with, clearly disagreed with, or a little of both.

...young men graduate from seminary $60,000 or $70,000 in debt with few employment options other than very low-pay youth minister positions. Everyone has debt, and labors through low-pay positions. I taught for two years. Many teachers (and other careers) are in the exact same position. What I don't like about this argument (which really has nothing to do with the author's main point) is the reality of youth ministry being used as a launching pad or a place to stash people until they are "ready." First, it hurts the youth. Too many churches see the youth pastor position as a revolving door. Every 2-3 years someone new comes in. This directly affects the ability of the kids to grow as nothing is ever stable. Second, youth isn't the only place where passion and energy are needed. The older generations (college on up) need to be rejuvenated and kicked in the pants every so often as well. Some men are gifted towards one group or the other. Placing him where he doesn't belong frustrates both him and the group he is expected to minister to.

Interestingly enough, statistics indicate that these less “professional” churches are growing and the top-heavy cousins are rapidly shrinking. Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with whether or not the pastor went to seminary. I think it's more of a reflection of the individual church. There are plenty of seminary and non-seminary education pastors leading thriving churches which are passionate about seeing the gospel of Jesus Christ reach all corners of the globe. There are also plenty of seminary and non-seminary educated pastors leading churches that are passionate about all the wrong things or nothing at all. These churches don't need a man with the gift of speech or a specific degree, they need Jesus Christ as their top priority.

Seminary training has almost nothing to do with the talent for public speaking, and often leaves any evaluation of that talent later in the student’s training. Interesting point. It can make it tough when you are learning about sermon preparation, but rarely given a chance to implement a sermon. People want good speakers, which only comes through practice and God's grace. I hope it's not the case for Westminster, but I won't know until I keep moving along. But I do have opportunities in my local church to foster my speaking skills should the need arise. This is another one of the many blessings of being committed to a local body instead of floating around until you are welcomed in as a shepherd.

Another common criticism is that enduring the financial privations of a seminary education is somehow a spiritual obligation. (This is technically a rebuttal against one of the criticisms) Christianity is not about obligation. It's about grace. Attending seminary does not earn me any extra points nor does not attending seminary subtract points. Christ requires I faithfully serve Him and follow where He leads. For some, it may mean seminary. For others, secular careers where God's people are just as needed. Still others, a plethora of other things. If we head into them with a mindset of obligation, we won't be serving with joy or with the proper motivation of bringing glory and praise to Christ.

Christ was not, Himself, a seminary graduate, nor did He establish an institution of higher learning. This one sounds like a cop-out. I could say Jesus never went to college. I could say Jesus never bought a home. I could say Jesus never ran an official church service. The point is Christ didn't establish a lot of things during His time on earth. It wasn't His purpose. He came to do the Father's will (John 6:38), which eventually meant His death and resurrection. Plus, Jesus grew up as a devote Jewish boy. He spent a good deal of His upbringing receiving formal training in the Scriptures (Old Testament at that time). And that training was more akin to higher education than apprenticeship.

Otherwise it was parties, stories, healings and alms. Here, Jesus sounds like a hippie from the 60's walking around with a guitar, a tie-dye shirt, a peculiar aroma, a radiant glow, and pockets full of coins. Limiting Jesus' ministry to "parties, stories, healing, and alms" is not faithful to Scripture. Jesus' ministry was to serve and give His life as a ransom (Matthew 20:28). And He left His disciples with a call to follow in His steps. They were to go, make disciples, baptize, and teach (Matthew 28:19-20) through the means by which the Spirit led. The aforementioned list was Jesus' declaration that the kingdom of God has come, but not yet to its fullest. Jesus was showing how God will one day redeem all which has been corrupted by sin.

Why, then, do we put classrooms in the middle of pastoral formation and apprenticeship at the edge? I actually really like this point. Seminaries will require a semester (maybe two) of ministry experience. That semester is important, but it would be wonderful (at least I think it would) for a student to be active in some means along the way. Getting a chance to use the intellectual knowledge gained in practical ways is extremely important. And yes, it would be nice if seminaries could help bridge the gap. However, it doesn't necessarily have to rest solely on the seminary to provide the opportunity. Churches are always looking for more hands and people to lead. Getting more involved in a local church body (this seems to be a running theme) is a great way to learn more about ministry. Help run the children's program. Become a youth leader. Start a Bible study. Join committees to get a flavor for church meetings and functions. Ask to try something new which would benefit the body and those it is trying to reach. Sure, it won't lead to extra pay, but what's more important anyway?

In fact, I think theology is so important that I’d like to see it taught efficiently, at low cost, to far larger numbers of people. Isn't that what the church is supposed to do!?!?!? Confession. I used to hate Sunday School. I thought it made Sunday mornings seem that much longer. Now my church isn't perfect, but I like our Sunday school (or at least the one I attend). We pour over books of the Bible in order to wrestle with theological topics (soteriology, ecclesiology, eschatology etc.) contained in them so that we may grow more in love with God and better serve those around us. A lot of churches would rather use Sunday school as a social event or take it off the table altogether.

I’d put my money on the 30-something apprentice with an iPod, some business experience and a day job over the 20-something with a piece of paper and a huge load of debt every time. Any God-fearing church puts their money on the whatever-something God has called to faithfully shepherd their flock. If he attended seminary, great. If he didn't, but it still able to faithfully teach God's Word and lead His people, then great. God is the one who calls (any and all of His people, pastors or not), and He does so for His purpose and glory. Our job is to faithfully respond and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment