Friday, August 19, 2011

no faith

I thoroughly enjoy CNN-Opinion. I am fairly confident they are not the only ones, but, since CNN is my news of choice, I go there. The page offers pieces that touch on an assortment of subjects from all points of views. And I typically enjoy understanding what others believe, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

Penn Jillette, of the infamous Penn & Teller, wrote a piece about why he is both a libertarian and atheist. While the entire article is interesting, the following paragraph stood out the most.

What makes me libertarian is what makes me an atheist -- I don't know. If I don't know, I don't believe. I don't know exactly how we got here, and I don't think anyone else does, either. We have some of the pieces of the puzzle and we'll get more, but I'm not going to use faith to fill in the gaps. I'm not going to believe things that TV hosts state without proof. I'll wait for real evidence and then I'll believe.

In regards to his libertarian point, I have no pressing response. If someone wants to belong to the Democratic, Republican, Tea, Libertarian, Independent, or whatever party they are more than welcome to it. All of them have ideas worth being heard, especially given the current state of our government.

But how do we respond to his atheistic claim? Anger? Aggression? Scoff? Mockery? Ridicule? Religious arrogance?
Yes, his beliefs contradict what the Bible declares. Creation is filled with proof of its Creator. We don't know all the answers, mostly because we (humanity as a whole) are the reason for our problems. But God is faithful and sovereign. Faith in Him is not meaningless faith.

Hopefully we can read (or hear) such statements of belief and respond with compassion and grace. Jesus did not berate his disciples for doubt. He stood up and gave them the proof they needed. He calmed the storm (Matthew 8:26), healed the demon possessed boy (Matthew 17:17-20), and let Thomas touch His wounds (John 20:27).

We are more than capable of doing the same, but not with a spirit of arrogance. Grace tells us we were in the same boat before Christ saved us. And apart from Him, we would believe similarly. Grace teaches us humility, which is exactly how we need to respond to those lacking the faith necessary for belief.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to note that his statement also seems puts the teaching of evolution in the "faith" category.

    ReplyDelete