Monday, June 6, 2011

delight in anguish

Psalm 119 is long. It has 176 verses. Nearly every one deals with some aspect of God's Word. Reading it is encouraging, humbling, and challenging all at once. It is rich and wonderful showing us the innumerable blessings that come with reading and studying God's Word.

I read verse 142 this morning;

Trouble and anguish have found me out...

Every human being who ever walked the earth can fully embrace the beginning of the verse. Trouble and anguish seem to find me more often than I am able to escape. Sometimes it's the trouble of my own sin and desires or the anguish of giving into them (Paul in Romans 7). Other times it's God allowing trials and testing for the purpose of sharpening my faith (1 Peter 1). There are still others times when I have no idea why I am facing such things (think Job). Regardless of the causes, trouble and anguish are realities I face, often times each and every day.

...But your commandments are my delight

God's Word is able to be my delight in times of trouble. What He tells me through His Word is enough to carry me through the hardships with joy. If His command for me is to repent, I can delight in finding the forgiveness that comes with it. If His command is to press on, I can delight in knowing He is my strength and shield. If His command is to love, I can delight in being able to love because I am been loved first by Him. Whatever His Word says, there is always a reason to delight in it. Do I read it with delight or merely to find an escape for the anguish facing me?

No comments:

Post a Comment