Thursday, June 2, 2011

stats

I am reading The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons (aka the Sports Guy). It's a change to the normal material I read in my free time. Why?

First, we are in the midst of the climax of basketball season: the playoffs. While the thought of either the Heat or the Mavericks winning the title makes me sick to my stomach, it won't stop me from watching. The games are too exciting littered with potentially great moments.

Second, I love basketball. It's my primary choice of sports to play, and (finally proud enough to admit) my preference for viewing as well. It has recently trumped my fondest of the NFL. I have more fond memories of watching basketball games with my brother and friends than I do any other sport. And that statement does not include the NCAA. I would watch an NBA game ten times out of ten over an NCAA game despite what the naysayers think. Hands down, it's just better basketball.

The book is about all things basketball (roughly 750 pages worth). The last four hundred list out the top 100 players of all time with many points proving their place. Many names I have only heard of or seen black and white highlights of. Others I can remember vividly because they are still playing or they played when I was younger. The book is packed full of stats, failures, successes, awards, and, quite possibly, the kitchen sink.

To an extent, my faith is filled with the same. My mind races back to times of success and failure as I behold my career stat sheet. At times it looks real nice, while other times it's embarrassing. All in all I fail to measure up. I sympathize with the book's arguments about guys never living up to the gifts and skills they were given. I wrestle over my inability to live up to expectations. It's tiring and consistently frustrating.

But thankfully God doesn't treat my life in the same way we treat the career's of athletes. He knows full well I will never measure up. He is keenly aware of my tendency to fall flat on my face. He doesn't knock me down a tier level when I mess up. He operates through grace.

Grace tells me Christ is my stat sheet. What He did has been transferred to me in exchange for my sin. I don't have to strive toward creating a spotless record. Christ's record is spotless and standing in my place. Grace tells me my efforts have nothing to do with my standing before God. I am already as loved and accepted as I could ever be with no fear of losing either. Grace tells me I can be weak because Christ is strong. I can fail because Christ succeeded. I can grow weary because Christ is my rest.

I won't ever make a top 100 list, but by God's grace I don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment