Wednesday, June 8, 2011

face-plants

The writer of Psalm 119 speaks as one who fully understands the blessings and benefits of God's Word. I envy his longing for wisdom from it. I envy his declarations of love for every part of it. I envy his trust in it as the means for righteous living.

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. (v.9)

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (v.11)

Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path (v.105)

Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me. (v.133)

Of course no one is perfect. But from the looks of it, this psalmist seems to be heading in the right direction. Every part of his being is guarded by the power of God's Word. And yet he ends the psalm with this,

I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments. (v.176)

God's servant is no better than any of us. He acts like a stubborn sheep, emphatic about meandering his own way. However, his understanding of God's Word keeps him humble and repentant. He knows the promises of forgiveness, grace, and mercy. He rests upon them even when he falls. He knows the character of God to seek us out even when we deserve to be left alone. He asks God to continue. His knowledge of God's Word doesn't puff him up, but drives him closer and closer to the throne of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment