Monday, August 23, 2010

At the foot of the cross


At the cross I bow my knee

Where your blood was shed for me

There’s no greater love than this

You have opened up the grave

Your glory fills the highest place

Nothing separates me now

These words by the Hillsong always lead me back to a state of humility. At the foot of the cross there is no room for pride or self-righteous arrogance. There is only awe. Why would the only true, sovereign God sacrifice Himself for me, a rebellious creature? For the first time in my life, I got to actually receive a glimpse of what it is like to be physically at the foot of the cross.

Sure this was merely a relic and not the actual cross of Christ. Of course, Christ is not on the cross now. And yes, it was in a church maybe for the purpose of showing off to other churches. Whatever the reason, there is no denying the sanctity and reality of that scene. At one point in time, our God was nailed to a cross for thousands to mock and jeer. He suffered the wrath of the Father physically and spiritually for the sake of the lost.

As I gazed upwards, barely seeing the head over the feet nailed together, I felt an overwhelming sense of grief, amazement, and gratitude rush over me all at the same time. My sin put Christ on the cross. Regardless, He hung there for me. Now, I have shalom with the Father and an eternal hope.

In that moment I prayed a silent prayer of confession for my lack of truly embracing and being overcome by the truth of the gospel. Then, I joyfully thanked God for His grace which saved me once and for all, and continues to save me each and every day.

When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the Prince of Glory died

My richest gain, I count but loss

And pour contempt on all my pride

No comments:

Post a Comment