Tuesday, August 31, 2010

oh the places we will go

Since July 27th, Andrew Peterson's Counting Stars has been blaring through my speakers. The first song, Many Roads, in particular really struck a chord with me. It describes a lot of the spiritual roller coaster that has been the past 3-4 weeks. I have walked many roads in my twenty four years on this earth, but the number seems to have multiplied recently. If my life were a map, I think it would look like a corn maze moving every which direction. At first I grew discouraged about this. Part of me felts as though I spent a lot of wasted time doing various things. Nothing really stuck for me, especially since graduating college. Through the work of the Spirit, I have been challenged to look differently at all the places/experiences God has led me to over the years. The first verse and chorus of this song describe my prayer for a new outlook.
You can see the roads that we all traveled just to get here
A million miniscule decisions in a line
Why they brought us to this moment isn’t clear
But that’s all right, we’ve got all night

Could it be that the many roads
I took to get here
Were just for you to tell that story
And for me to hear that song
And my many hopes
And my many fears
Were meant to bring me here all along
We were meant to be right here all along

I've got "all night" to figure out why God has moved the way He did to get me to this point. I could have skipped Messiah college, substituting, full-time teaching, and many other things while still standing at the place I am today. God chose to use those things for reasons I understand and some I do not. One day I might know, but I may never know this side of eternity. I simply trust and have faith that He designed for me to follow each and every step to get where I currently stand. He's been using my hopes and fears to drive me along. My story is daily being written, and the Author of Life is the writer.

2 comments:

  1. . . . and we got Andy on the guitar 'cause I promised him some Texas barbecue . . . =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . and what a beautiful story it is and will be at the end.

    ReplyDelete