Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 2

Today's place of interest was Florence. Going in I knew very little about the city. Sadly enough the only thing I could remember was that is was Sandra Bullock's character's dream to travel there in the film While You Were Sleeping (I do like that movie). Now having been here, I can see why she was so fond of it. It is very beautiful with its classic architecture and Renaissance style. The outside of this famous cathedral is carved with church and Italian history all over. The inside is massive with a beautiful dome (ala the Sistine Chapel) depicting different biblical images.


What I also found out is the the famous statue of naked David made by Michaelangelo also resides in the city. Jordan and I attempted to enter the museum where the sculpture is housed, but the line would have had us waiting all day instead of enjoying the sights. While seeing the piece would have been awesome, the view from the river was a good replacement.

The city is filled with plenty of other statues worth noting. This group of gentlemen stood outside the famous Uffizzi museum (also too long a line to wait through) along with some other famous Italians. I chose these three for a particular purpose. Unfortunately, the group is incomplete. The fourth member is missing, and I was unable to locate his whereabouts.




3 comments:

  1. fascinating. can i make a request? please include food pictures in your italy posts. i want to drool when i read your blog. if you can't include pictures, at least talk about what you ate. so that i can taste it with your descriptions. thanks so much. =) but if you can't make that happen, i'll still read your posts. oh, and did i already tell you i found my travel wallet yesterday? doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Maybe I will have to go there. Question. Why did you choose those particular three statues? Also, I agree with Danielle. I want to see what you eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to know that you are secure enough in your masculinity to admit liking the movie "While You Were Sleeping". Not too many men admit such things for the whole world to see. Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete