Tuesday, October 5, 2010

a friend who sticks closer than a brother

"A friend who stinks?!"

"No, a friend who sticks."

"Oh, you mean like glue or peanut butter?"

"Uh, sure."

I remember this from the beginning of a Steve Green song my family used to listen to when we were little. The statement is actually Proverbs 18:24. I used it to close out "the best best-man speech ever" (as coined by a certain bride and groom). Some might have thought I was merely tickling the ears of my brother, but someone sticking closer to me than my brother is hard to imagine. Today is his birthday, only he received his present roughly four months ago. This marks his first birthday as a father. (sorry Lauren I stole your picture)
As a kid I used Proverbs 18:24 as encouragement to keep putting up with the "older brother" musings I was typically the victim of. Either Christ would continually show Himself to be that friend (which He is) or someone would come along to demonstrate the truth behind that passage. Surprisingly, my brother filled that role as we both matured. His view of me changed as well as my view of him and overreactions to his displays of tough love.

Today, my opinion of my brother constantly evolves. I have had multiple opportunities to observe how he handles himself as both as a husband and father. Analyzing my findings reveals a man with nothing but unconditional love for his wife and child. He is willing to sacrifice and serve for the well-being of his family. As a single man with aspirations for a wife and family, I admire him as an example. He provides glimpses of what my heavenly Father is, and what He desires for all men to emulate. If you asked me what I could learn from him fifteen years ago, I probably would have said something along the lines of "nothing too important." Now there's a multitude of things that will last me the rest of my days on earth and all eternity.


1 comment: