Sunday, October 3, 2010

the heart of a father

Hosea may be one of the most interesting and unique books in all of Scripture. God's call for Hosea to take a prostitute as his wife knowing she would never stay faithful is beyond perplexing. It appears downright crazy. Honestly, I would have significant trouble following a calling such as that. Feelings of frustration, anger, and bitterness would be expected. I mean isn't there a better (and less painful) way to demonstrate God's faithfulness to His adulterous bride than a real-life scenario?
If I were Hosea, I would have asked if one of those parables couldn't serve the same purpose. It could start something like,
"There once was a man, filled with compassion, who married a prostitute. Again and again, she returned to the empty lifestyle of her past. Again and again, her husband sought her out to bring her back home."
It would go deeper than this with details about the children and the resolve and perseverance of the husband. It could even finish with one of those statements that resonates in the ears of the listeners well after the crowd disperses. Who knows, maybe Hosea held a conversation like with this God after hearing the calling laid out for him. It wouldn't be that far-fetched.
As I keep reading, I am glad God chose to demonstrate His grace, mercy, love, and faithfulness in such a manner. It emphasizes the heart of the God who is both our Father and good husband. The warnings and pleadings depict a God crying out for and pursuing His beloved to until they come home. Hosea 11:1-4, 7-8 is my favorite display of this.
When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. The more they were called, the more they went away; they kept sacrificing to the Baals and burning offerings to idols. Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk; I took them up by their arms, but they did not know that I healed them. I led them with cords of kindness, with bands of love, and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and fed them...My people are bent on turning away from me, and though they call out to the Most High, he shall not raise them up at all. How can I give you up, O Ephraim? How can I hand you over, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart recoils within me; my compassion grows warm and tender. (ESV, emphasis mine)
Hosea not only heard God speaking these words to His children, but he experienced them himself in the turmoil of his marriage. Here was not a man married to an adulterous woman out of sheer obligation. He loved her in spite of her repeated infidelity. He could have given up on her at any point. Very few people would have held it against him. Instead, he echoed the voice of His Father. He refused to give her up or treat her solely on the basis of her wrongdoings. He was filled with compassion and grace towards his beloved.
Now if this is how a sinner saved by grace dealt with his unfaithful beloved, how much more compassionate and gracious is our God? He didn't just marry us, but formed us into His image. He nurtured us, grew us, healed us, and, most importantly, redeemed us. Yet we still pull away. God doesn't ignore this and will discipline (Hosea 10:10), but as a loving Father who wants the best for His children. He won't give us up, but will repeatedly show us His warmth and tenderness even though we deserve much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment