Tuesday, October 19, 2010

my own benefit

Just in case anyone notices the lack of changes to my reading list, I confess I am in the midst of another reading slump. I've been in the battling it for roughly three weeks though some of it is due to outside influences. Phillies games tend to keep me up later than usual. Instead of heading to bed a bit early for the purpose of reading, I go to bed ready for sleep because being a fan can be rather taxing. Thankfully a lack of reading outside material is not detrimental. It is, however, like missing old friends. I plan of visiting them soon, I promise.

When the Phillies aren't playing I've been using my pre-sleep time for writing. This isn't new for me. I like to write about an assortment of things whenever I feel motivated. What is different is my writing has become a project. Two weeks ago I began writing a treatise on corporate worship. It continues to be a "hot button" issue for many churches especially when it comes to the music. My interest lies in the music, as well as all the other aspects of corporate worship. Everything done in those moments revolves around the glory and exaltation of our God. Anything we feel, gain, or enjoy is secondary. Sometimes we miss this concept. Services are often structured more for following tradition or creating comfort than bringing God's people together to declare His greatness to all. This makes me sad more than anything. God's glory should provide us with enough passion to make every worship service a God-filled experience.

To be honest I began my treatise (I really like that word) with an audience in mind. My main goal was not to gather information for my own engagement in corporate worship. Graciously the Spirit demonstrated, once again, the teachable and correctable nature of God's Word (2 Timothy 3:16). As I am reading, studying, and writing I am constantly convicted of my posture in worship. Am I joining together with God's people to give glory? Am I excited when God's greatness in put on display for all to see? Am I allowing the Spirit to move regardless of how I feel or the service is geared? On Sunday, the Spirit challenged me with those questions in the midst of my singing. He drew me back to some of the passages from my studying to alter my worship. Where I thought I would be teaching others, God's intent was to teach me. Personally, I love that about our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment