Tuesday, October 12, 2010

time to think

I spend a good portion of my days cleaning personal items damaged by fire or flood. While it's not the most exciting job, I do find it somewhat therapeutic. It's low stress, which is always good. It also leaves me a lot of time to think. Occasionally my allergies throw a fit, but they're spoiled anyways. My thoughts while cleaning have very little cohesion. They range all over the map. As a break from the usual posts, I thought I would share some of inner conversations from the past week.
  • Why do humans love to hold onto meaningless junk? I have cleaned boxes and boxes full of "prized possessions." Some look like they haven't been touched in years, maybe decades. If I had my way, I would do less cleaning and more pitching. I understand sentimentality, but there's a fine line between that and hording. In addition to that, some of the homes I have journeyed to echo the same sentiment. I'm all for trying to remember the pleasantries of the past as much as anyone else. I still have various items from elementary school up through college. However, remembering the past shouldn't ever hinder our ability to live in the present.
  • Right now might be the best time to be a Phillies fan. Regardless of what happens the rest of this postseason, we are living in the golden age of this franchise. We have three legitimate starters through at least next season and a young core to back them up. Our manager is also a genius when it comes to baseball (and not as much when he speaks in public). Having grown up through the Dark Ages of this franchise, it's nice to expect excellence from this team. I know some complain about the growth of the fan-base since 2008, and I can understand their concern. I have had many conversations with people who have no idea who Danny Tartabull, Greg Jefferies, Rico Brogna, Desi Relaford, and Heathcliff Slocumb are. These people probably couldn't even remember watching a game before 2006. While I wish every fan could ride with a team during the low times (see 2010 Carolina Panthers), I won't withhold a high-five or hug just because they jumped on the wagon later. Though I will get mad when they get tickets and I don't.
  • The sport's media is ignoring the most pressing issue with the newest Brett Favre scandal. Being a distraction to his team and bad ambassador of the game are points Y and Z. A through X revolve around his failure as a husband and father. Here is a man who three years ago retired to spend more time with his family. After half a year with them, he felt the urge to play again. There was nothing morally wrong with this until this past week. Coming back has cost him his family, regardless of the final outcome. I pray for his wife who must be struggling with feelings of insignificance after her husband decided time with her wasn't satisfying enough to meet his professional and personal needs.
  • With the first week of November right around the corner, the democratic process is the highlights of most news stories. Candidates are throwing their last-ditch efforts to get the votes of those on the fence. Unfortunately, they tend to use elementary school tactics in order to do so. Dragging your opponent through the mud is downright classless. If anything it guarantees a candidate to not get my vote. If only the rest of the voters would do the same. Then, maybe we would start to see some of the change we are all praying to see.
  • Speaking of change in politics, I would love to see the rise of a legitimate third party in this country. I don't count the Tea Party as one, because they are essentially Republicans with an attitude (see Sarah Palin). The United States was never meant to be a two-party system. In fact, it wasn't meant to be a democratic system until Washington turned down the crown when nearly half the country seized at the thought of it. (He had the army and founding fathers behind him, so it was a legitimate option). I believe a lot of the problems we are facing are a result of the extreme polarization between the two parties. You can't like, agree with, or, even, vote for the other without compromising everything you stand for. Plus, the leaders of both parties are too self-motivated and self-interested to do what's right for our country.
  • Hopefully, that's the last time I get into politics again. It's not what brings me joy at all. What does bring me joy? Waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of thunder and sight of lightning. Last night, I watched the storm roll through. It was awesome! The sky lit up like the sun was shining as the rain soaked the earth. Personally, I love that our God displays Himself in such a loud and glorious way.
  • I used to hate hot apple cider. I would only take it cold. No exceptions. Over the course of this fall season, the drink has moved up on my favorites list. Add a little cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to that cup of goodness, and I am ready for a nice fall evening. In honor of my friend Chad, that is a nice cup of "hot apple Gary."

2 comments:

  1. I would like some hot apple Gary, please. so glad you've found love for hot cider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we can enjoy the cups of hot cider together. Although I think it tastes better when you make it.

    ReplyDelete