Tuesday, January 25, 2011

here I raise my Ebenezer

The word Ebenezer means "stone of help." It comes from the 1 Samuel 7:12 when Samuel sets up a reminder for how the LORD gave the Israelites a convincing victory over the Philistines. Last night I had the privilege of meeting a young boy (14 years old) named Ebenezer. I forgot to take my camera along, otherwise there would a picture of him here. Hopefully, I will get a chance to see him again next month.

I met him at a prayer meeting I attended with three staff members. It is intended for parents caring for the needs of and/or individuals with special needs, both physical and mental. The time is set aside for singing, a short devotional, and prayer for each and every person in attendance. Sanjay was unable to attend last night (he and Keren were celebrating the anniversary of their engagement), so I was placed in the trusted hands of his staff. Before going, Sanjay asked me to deliver the message for the evening. God placed on my heart Isaiah 41:8-10, which was a passage He had me meditate on over and over again throughout the course of last year. It was a wonderful experience sharing words God used to comfort me in order to help others who were hurting. But back to Ebenezer we must go.

I met this particular boy before the service even started. He is the son of the pastor whose church housed the evening's events. I caught a glimpse of him in the back as we walked in, and officially met him shortly thereafter. He is a severely handicapped boy. He body is twisted and contorted unlike anyone I have seen in person. He has been so since birth, and all prognoses are he will carry on this way until death. Upon first glance I felt pity for this boy whose face is always turned down because of the way his body is mangled. To look up he has to strain his neck just to get a passing glance. As soon as we started speaking, I learned this boy was not someone to be pitied. If anything I was the one in need of such.

He spoke English surprisingly well. He asked where I came from, why I was here (to which I answered "to see you"), and other questions to get a better idea of who I was. He said "thank you" to all my answers, and then asked me to sit next to him on the bed. I placed my hand on his shoulder (which was nothing but sheer bone), and he tried to place his hand in mine. Because he can't control his movements, our hands didn't stay connected for too long. This frustrated him, so I told him I would leave it in a general location where he could brush along it as he moved. I think my idea satisfied him. The staff with me gave him treats which made him laugh and shout "praise the Lord," causing everyone else to chuckle.

As our conversation slowed down, Ebenezer asked me to do what my heart already desired: pray with him. The staff surrounded the two of us as we laid our hands on Ebenezer to pray. I don't remember all of my petition, but I praised God for the life and spirit of this young man. I thanked Him for the witness Ebenezer is to the transforming power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I prayed for God to heal him if it was His desire or to provide Ebenezer with the grace needed to continue on. As I ended, Ebenezer once again said "praise the Lord" and "thank you." His older brother came over to him, and Ebenezer whispered something in his ear. Before I knew it, Ebenezer had broken out into singing. The song was a old familiar in English, but I can't remember it. There was something about all the earth praising the Lord. I listened joyfully as one of God's children in the least desirable position imaginable sang his heart out. My mind quickly went home to a dear sister from church who sings exactly the same way. Neither she, nor Ebenezer have any reason to keep from singing, which is a challenge to the rest of us.

It was the best way God could have started off a time of worship with members of Christ's body. My heart went through the rest of the night rejoicing, and continued long after I got back where fresh vegetables (my favorite) were waiting for me to consume. And having learned my lesson, I sang the praises of my God.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to keep singing as well. Love you.

    ReplyDelete