Sunday, January 2, 2011

thirsty

Psalm 63 is one of my favorite passages in all of Scripture. David wrote it while alone in the wilderness, which makes his cries for his spiritual needs over his physical all the more humbling. The first verse alone carries enough weight to stop reading on.

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

I am going to a dry and weary land where this is no water (or at least safe water). The children I will meet are thirsty for God's grace through Jesus Christ. Some made commitments, but struggle to overcome their Hindu families to meet with God daily. Others may have heard before and were left wanting more. Still others may have never heard a whisper of Christ's name, but feel the deep pains for what He offers in their souls. There people are thirsty and fainting. God has appointed me to be the water boy.

This also puts forth a challenge to those of us going through our everyday lives. Are we still thirsty? Do we faint when we are absent from His nearness? Just because we have tasted the water doesn't mean our thirst for it dries up. If anything our thirst should be heightened because we know just how wonderful it really is. Every place where Christ is not worshiped as King and Lord is dry and weary. Our souls can become those places when we grow complacent. Psalm 63 is our daily journey to well seeking the water which nourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment