Saturday, January 22, 2011

the village of Poe

Last month I mentioned a book written about the happenings in my classroom last year. It shares the same title as this post. The author spent a number of days last year observing the students placed under my care. He thought about ways he could help reach them as well as ideas I might try. We didn't always agree, but I appreciated his input even though I might not have expressed it as often as I should have.

I brought the book along to India since I figured I would have plenty of time for reading given all the travel I would be doing. I began portions of it on the plane ride over and finished it the other day. Going in I was nervous about how I might look from an objective viewpoint. I knew of the failures I experienced last year, and part of me wanted to ensure I would remain the only one "in the know." As I read it, God used various sections to humble me. As I wrote in my journal, there were times when I came across as lacking in knowledge, know-how, enthusiasm, patience, and compassion. That was rather hard to read and even harder to swallow. But as I remembered conversations I had with various teachers at the beginning of this year my heart overwhelmed with praise. People saw something in my students and me by the end of last year. I don't know what it was, but I know who was responsible for it. Reading the book reminded me that God's power is clearly made perfect in my weakness. I was able to put the book down with a smile on my face and a song on my lips.

What I also found while reading were fond memories pushing through the clouds. The book documented a lot of the pain, anger, and grief swirling through my classroom. Those same realities were the focus of many prayers and tears on my part last year. Seeing how God pulled me through, I could now look back and see the many laughs that were also shared. There were definitely as many moments of fun and joy as there were hardship and pain. Unfortunately, we typically don't see them until we make it through. I am grateful to my Father for allowing me the privilege of working with this bunch and testing my faith along the way. I know full well this was His plan from the beginning.

Even though both these students and their teacher have moved on I am challenged not to let my prayers for them follow suit. More than academic and social success I earnestly pray for the Spirit's work in their lives.

The picture below is from our Thanksgiving feast we shared in together. Now I pray it is the table set for us in heaven where we can dine together without pain, fear, and sorrow in the presence of our Savior. It seems impossible, but we know what God can do with the impossible.
O Lord, you are Lord of the harvest. I don't know if I planted the seed, worked the soil, watered the crops, harvested, or merely gathered the tools. Salvation belongs to you alone and I pray you grant it unto the Rock, I'm New, the Pretender, June O'Sullivan, Amelia Badilia, Bobby Kennedy, the Drummer, Secret Squirrel, Jada Pinkett, the Prophet, Jeremiah, Crown Jewel, Winnie the Pooh, Moses, the Wanderer, Laura Engels, Mo Betta, Jimmy Dean, Marie Antoinette, Friar Tuck, Sister Pearlina, A-rod, Two of a Kind, the Rabbit, and Late Addition through the working of your Spirit in accordance with your will. Heal their wounds, wipe their tears, turn their sorrow into singing. May we dine again together in your presence at the great feast of the Lamb. And may it all be to the glory of your most holy and wonderful Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment