Tuesday, March 8, 2011

let the children come

I had no control over my camera on Sunday. I gave it to my friend Daya who took shots at will. It wasn't until we were on our way home that I was able to peek at his work. I was hoping he captured a wonderful blessing I received at the conclusion of the service.

After the benediction everyone began greeting those around them and mingling as most do on any given Sunday morning. They sat me on the stage for the whole thing (not where I would have chosen, but it's alright). As I stepped down a handful of people began swarming around me. Naturally I thought it was because of my skin color and being a guest for the morning. When I saw it was a handful of young girls (upper elementary to middle school aged) I figured they wanted to shake my hand, giggle, and go on their way. The camps I attended taught me this is how they warm up to me, at least that's what I tell myself. Well I could not have been proven more wrong.
If you look at the above picture, just think of all the young girls you can see plus two more coming to see me. After shaking my hand (I was right to a degree) each girl asked me to pray for them. With two experiences under my belt I grew accustomed to people coming to be prayed for after the service. This was the first time children were the ones coming forward. Right now exams are running the lives of most students (elementary up through post-graduate). The girls wanted me to pray for the exams facing them as well as God's blessing and strength in their lives. I was more than eager to do so. They knelt down before I started, so I joined them. I thanked them for letting me pray for them as a group of boys filled in the empty spaces they left behind.
I do want to say I love praying with all people, not just children. But there was something about these kids seeking out prayer which stuck with me as I traveled home. Besides my parents, I can't remember asking anyone to prayer for me growing up. Looking back, I wish I had. The children didn't get pushed by their parents or forced because of a sense of duty. They had needs which they wanted prayer for. I even noticed them bounce over to Sanjay after praying with me. We joked about how every child was prayed for at least twice between he and I. But as we joked, I thanked God for showing me how much I don't even ask others to pray for me. Sometimes it's pride while other times embarrassment for what I am asking for. The children in this church didn't care. They wanted God's help and were active about seeking it out as best they could: prayer.

1 comment: