Wednesday, March 30, 2011

new reading

Traditionally, I avoid books pertaining to becoming successful. I guess I view them as "self-help," which I am not a real fan of. I know what happens when I try to help myself in my own strength. I always prefer reading books about biblical truth or ones geared for entertainment.

I picked up Leaders Who Last during my last week in India. I figured I should at least read some material about leadership if I am to faithfully follow God's call into ministry. The author, Dave Kraft, has been involved in training Christian leaders for nearly forty years in addition to serving as a leader at various stops along the way. He says his life's mission is to train effective Christian leaders since most burn out before reaching the end.

The most recent chapter dealt with the issue of leaders needing to be passionate. Kraft observes too many Christian leaders trying to lead void of any passion.

"Passion is contagious. Passion will have more of an impact than personality...[passion is] a genuine joy that flows from a leader in love with Jesus Christ...Passion is a God thing, not a personality thing...different Christian leaders have different combinations of gifts and different personalities, but are all passionate because they are deeply connected with God and his purpose for their lives...Passion needs to be recaptured in all its fullness within the ranks of Christian leadership."

I'm not in a position of leadership at this present juncture. But my prayer is for God to be instilling a passion within my heart for the day He places me in such a position. Christ was a man of great passion. His passion was for the glory of the Father and seeing His will being done on earth. I also pray for all leaders (and all Christians too) to have the passion that is a genuine joy that flows from a leader in love with Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Derek - although you may not have a "title" for leadership, you have a position for leadership through relationships, and the passion for God that is evident in your life is being used by God to transform many lives. Continue to nurture your passion for God and be a leader no matter what "title" you wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron and I talk about this fairly regularly. we should talk more about it over dinner - you know, that Indian dinner you are supposed to make for me? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are more of leader than you know. Your passion shows in all you do. Continue to be the godly example you've been to me and others as well.

    ReplyDelete