Saturday, March 5, 2011

such great faithfulness

Last night the LCMI (or JP, for Jeevan Parivarthan, which means "life change" on Indian soil) held an evening of prayer at the church of two of the staff members. The board in Pennsylvania is holding a "day of prayer" for the ministry today (Saturday), and we wanted to join with them for a period of time. Unfortunately Indian Saturdays are extremely busy as people never seem to be around. Seeing as the even was more last minute, we didn't have enough time to make the necessary contacts for people to either show or sign up for a certain time slot. Therefore setting aside a two hour block of time was the best solution. Praise the Lord for the many praying for LCMI today whether as a group or individually at various points throughout the day!

The meeting's turnout was encouraging. Half were either staff, counselors, or pastors who have worked with the ministry in some facet. The other half, thank the Lord, were pastors or other folks interested in learning more about LCMI for the sake of partnering with. Together we prayed for God's hand of blessing to continually be at work in the life of this particular ministry. The staff put together a prayer sheet with various requests about all the needs of the ministry, its staff, and all the people who have been touched by it (campers, parents, and counselors alike). It was a wonderful time of demonstrating our dependence on God to move this ministry where He wants in order for the name of Jesus Christ to be spread and exalted.

Before the time of prayer began, we wanted to acknowledge and praise God for His work thus far (both 2010 and the early parts of 2011). The prayer sheet, a slide show, and songs were shared to highlight just how much God has done. People are learning about salvation through Christ and responding. Physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of children are being met continually. More and more opportunities to minister are presenting themselves.

Prior to the entire event, David uncle (the orchestrator of the evening) asked if I would share a "special song" in the beginning. Now I do tinker around with the guitar, but I stay within my realm of comfort. I rarely learn new chords unless they are unbelievably easy. I use the capo way too much (or at least Jordan says I do) because it makes the songs easier. I also have a strict "I don't play for anyone" policy. It started in college to prevent me from being one of "those" guys who uses the guitar as a means to entice the ladies. Today it's because I am not that good and like to play and sing in private. Originally I planned on declining to the notion of a song. It went against my policy. But during the Special Needs camp, the counselor who usually plays heard me playing and asked me to take over for him because he was tired. Shamefully, I refused, but God convicted me later on to accept any such offers that would come up in the future. And of course God called me to hold up my end of the bargain.

I brought along four songs, but wasn't sure which I would use. I wanted it to be less of a performance because I wanted the attendees to be able to use it as a time of worship through song. Well the guitar was electric (I play acoustic), and there was no capo in sight. Therefore I had to go with the only song I had which did not require one. I kept it very simple, not getting to artistic or crazy. The song is supposed to be slower, which aided my ability to play it at a mediocre level. But as I played, I found myself basking in the truths of the song. I sang it as a song of thanksgiving for what God has been doing in my life just over the past few months. At the very least, I walked away renewed and grateful for the faithfulness of my loving God.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee:
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not,
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

Summer and winter and spring time and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy Faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!

No comments:

Post a Comment