Wednesday, March 23, 2011

yes but...

Human beings love the word but. We use it in productive ways such as drawing a conversation back to its original point or refocusing attention. Unfortunately, it also serves as our way of getting in a last word or adjusting the scales in our favor. Due to the latter usages but can be utterly heart breaking.

In each of the four camps, the primary goal was presenting the gospel clearly. Our hope, as it should be, was for the campers to accept the gospel being presented. Obviously we have no power to do this for anyone, so we rely upon God's Spirit to work in each and every heart. While I do not want to pass over the many God brought unto Himself (each is worth a celebration in heaven), my heart broke at some of the responses.

"I want to accept Christ, but... only if my child is healed...it won't sit well with my family...my friends will make fun...it will anger my god...I have to [fill in the blank]."

Now I don't mean to make light of some of the realities facing these individuals. In a Hindu society threats from family and friends can be terrible. But Jesus spoke to all our buts in Luke 9:62 when He said, no one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.

And His words don't merely apply to all those "riding the fence." Christians love to throw out their fair share of buts as well. Sure, we've placed our faith in Christ. Sure, we love Him. Sure, we do our best to glorify Him in all we do. We just hope and pray He doesn't ask anything more of us. And when He does?

"I would love to, but...I can't afford to right now....I don't really have the time...my plate is already overflowing...I'm not a big fan of being stretched...those are not my gifts...I don't have the necessary funds to make such a commitment...I really don't want to...and the list goes on.

These responses are just as heart wrenching. Christ is not looking for us to join His kingdom only to enjoy the blessings, which are truly wonderful and too many to count. We aren't called to be spoiled princes and princesses. He wants willing servants ready to stand behind to plow and push. Following Christ is a life-encompassing pursuit designed to last all the days of our life. Maybe the world around us is waiting for us to lay aside our buts (the other spelling might apply too) because they want to know if following Christ is really worth losing the things of this world.

1 comment:

  1. We can only pray they will realize that following Christ is worth so much more than the things of this world.

    ReplyDelete