Wednesday, March 16, 2011

waking up

Waking up this morning seemed a bit odd. There was no hustle and bustle of three young ladies getting ready for school. There was no cleaning lady sweeping my room (sometimes while I was sleeping). There was no sound of car horns and sellers on their bikes. When I open the front door, the trusty guard (and stray) dog, Brutus (named by yours truly), won't be there to wag his tail while running away from me.
Neither will his loyal sidekick, Double Stuff (Oreo was lacking in creativity), who looks like he could use a good bath and trip to the vet.
It is good to be home. I forgot how much I love a really soft and warm bed. I am looking forward to seeing many friends and family once again. But unlike my trip to Africa in 2007, India became my home to a certain extent. I found myself enjoying the routine I established. I was there long enough for the shock and excitement to wear off. I experienced what many can't experience because their stays are too short. I established familial and friend relationships which used to be a part of my everyday life.

As I move forward in the days ahead, I know I will be back in the swing of things fairly quickly. March Madness will peak my interest along with the coming NBA playoffs and start of the baseball season. I will go to work once again to try and improve my financial status before I start paying new bills for seminary. I will fellowship with friends and family regularly, enjoying every minute of it. But I pray there may still remain a longing for the people God brought so close to my heart over these past few months. I guess I sort of have a taste of Paul's frequent desire to see people, while serving where God placed him. God has placed me here, and here is where I desire to be for as long as God wills. But it doesn't mean my heart won't miss the places where I have been.

3 comments:

  1. i love that soft and warm bed, too - probably because it's the one Aaron and I picked out five years ago. (darn stairs for not letting it fit in my house!) but at least you are enjoying it. =)

    Lydia is ready for an Uncle Derek play date. when should i tell her to expect you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the States! Looking forward to catching up with you and hearing more about God's work in and through you over the past weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love having you home again. Thanks for sharing the love for those you were with. You made me appreciate and love them as well.

    ReplyDelete